A-League Week 13 Round-Up (Weekend)

Queensland Fury v. central coast(0-1)

Queensland Fury went down to central coast in an entertaining fixture. Zwaanswijk scored the only goal from a good corner though in truth it was terrible defending from the Fury. There was controversy late on in the 81st minute when Williams was blatantly taken down in the box by mariner’s keeper Matthew Ryan, yet the somehow ref didn’t give it.
Mariners deserved the win though and are now sitting pretty in 3rd spot while the Fury have dropped down to 10th, with the Queensland side now losing their last 3 home games.

Melbourne Victory v. Gold Coast (0-1)

The Gold Coast secured an impressive 1-0 win over Melbourne Victory to go four points clear of their rivals in 4th position. Thompson made his long-awaited comeback after 8 months in the second half, yet couldn’t help his side find a goal. The goal came from a Traore cross in the 55th minute, with Victory defender Vargas inexplicably heading the ball into his own net. In the first half, Melbourne had the better of the chances, while Culina had also gone close. They then parked the bus and played on the counter-attack, hanging on for the win in an important match.

Brisbane Roar v. Adelaide United(4-0)

Brisbane Roar thumped Adelaide by an amazing 4-0 score-line, moving into a 4-point lead at the top of the table. With a 13,000 crowd backing them, the Roar managed the victory despite having Reinaldo sent off at the start of the second half. The Brazilian had earlier scored the opener in the 43rd minute, with the first half being a largely even affair.
Reinaldo had been booked for his goal celebration, and was then shown a second yellow after appearing to call for the Ref to give Cornthwaite a red card when he had taken him down as the last man.
The setback didn’t deter the Roar and they went forward looking for more goals, with Smith grabbing one before Barbarouses grabbed a brace within 5 mintues. The Reds really missed the attacking thrust from Flores and Leckie and will hope to bounce back on Wednesday against the struggling Jets.

Sydney FC v. Newcastle(1-0)

Sydney sent Newcastle to the bottom of the table in controversial circumstances. The first half was a forgettable affair, with Sydney having the best of the possession and chances, though without really impressing. The Jets came out in the second half with a lot more intent, and really dominated proceedings but couldn’t create any clear cut chances.
Kasey Wehrman and Ljubo Milicevic had been left out of the starting line-up after a training ground spat, with youngster Taylor Regan lining up in defence alongside Topor, while Zadkovich played in central midfield. Why Fiorentini was left out of the squad is a mystery, perhaps he was injured, not sure. But Kaz Patafta did play, and looked lively, with a few nice touches and passes during the game.
Tarek Elrich had a terrible game, several times failing to deliver a quality cross into the box, while Jesic was also very poor up front. Sydney were equally as bad, yet got a slice of fortune with the winning goal, which was scored by Bruno Cazarine.
Poor defending from the Jets first saw Moriyasu skip past Topor-Stanley and he then crossed the ball for Cazarine, who was unmarked in the centre to tap home. Yet the ball had gone out of play before Moriyasu could cross, and despite the assistant appearing to flag for the goal kick the goal was given. Although the goal shouldn’t have been, this cannot take the focus off the performance itself, which was a joke.
The first half was the most boring piece of football I have bothered to watch in a long time, while the second half was more positive, yet you still couldn’t see where the Jets were going to get a goal from. Branko needs to sort shit out, mainly his tactics, ’cause they aren’t working. We all know that with Tinkler’s money we’ll have a gun side next year, but why can’t we start challenging now? The return of Wheelhouse is crucial, as is the debut of Jeffers and the return of Bridges.
Also take note that Terry McFlynn was lucky to stay on the field after a couple of reckless challenges…

Perth v. Wellington(0-1)

Wellington won their first away game of the season against a hapless Perth Glory, thanks to a wonder-goal from Tim Brown in the 1st minute. The Glory had two opportunities which should have been finished, Michael Baird and Jamie Coyne the culprits as Paston made two brilliant saves. A game without many other chances, the Phoenix shut up shop for most of the match and secured an important victory, while Perth are still looking for a win and will have to do without captain Jacob Burns after his red card in the 80th minute.


About janekspeight

I'm 22 years old, love football, want to be a football journalist
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s